Nora's birth story

Friday, April 17, 2015

It's hard to believe Nora has been with us for over a week now. 

You wait and wait and wait for 9 long months and then BAM, she's here! Holy guacamole! 

Late Tuesday night of last week I started to feel contractions come every 3-5 minutes. They weren't as strong as I remembered with Hadley but I figured since they were coming so close together and weren't going away that it must be the real thing! I waited them out all night and woke Josh up around 7am to tell him, "I think today is the day!"

We finally packed our hospital bag (whoops), got Hadley ready so she could go hang with Pop & Pippy (grandpa & grandma) and slowly made our way to the hospital. They hooked me up to the monitors, checked my cervix and WHAT DO YOU KNOW, I was only 2 centimeters. 

I knew my body was slow with this whole labor thing but I was hoping for more than that! 

They had me walk around for an hour, checked me again and there was no change. The contractions were still coming but farther apart now so they sent us home. We we're scheduled to go in the next morning for an induction so we knew either way our little gal was coming soon!

As the afternoon rolled on, my contractions came on stronger and stronger but were still spaced apart. I started to feel the pain radiating in my legs like I did with Hadley before. You can read more about my pregnancy, labor and postpartum experience with Hadley here. I wasn't able to sleep with the contractions so I walked in circles around our family room, cleaned our kitchen and tried to distract myself from the pain. Even Jimmy Fallon's boy-like charm couldn't help me... I was struggling!

Around 3am I woke Josh up and told him I couldn't wait any longer. I needed some help. And by help I mean DRUGS. 

We headed to the hospital, yet again, and this time they checked us in (THANK GOD). They examined me and I was still only 2 centimeters. Que sobbing here. I could not believe that I hadn't dilated any more but was feeling so much pain. It was so discouraging! But they said I was effacing rapidly so the contractions were doing their job. 

My experience was similar with Hadley where strong contractions started coming on very early in labor. I've heard stories of some people never feeling the contractions, going to the doctor and finding out they're already at 4 centimeters so it's hard not to feel like a big, fat wimp! But every body, pregnancy and labor has it's own agenda.

By the time they got us in our room and the anesthesiologist arrived, it was around 5am. I hadn't slept in two nights and was ready to fuggin' crash. They gave me the epidural and I was able to get a little rest. The medicine made me super itchy, which was annoying, but I kept telling myself it was better than those contractions! 

They gave me a small dose of pitocin to progress things a little faster since my contractions were still spaced apart. 

A few hours later, I began to feel the contractions on one side of my body. It wasn't painful like before but a feeling of pressure that definitely wasn't there before. The epidural started to favor the left side of my body so I was getting a little nervous that I'd be able to feel the whole thing. I could also tell a difference between the feeling in my legs.. my left leg was completely numb and I could barely move it on my own while my right leg was much easier to move around.

No one had checked my progress since about 6am when I was at 5cm. It was now close to noon, we we're hanging with my family and I started to feel like maybe it was time to push. We cleared the room and I asked the doc to check me out. Sure enough she says, "Oh yup, there's her head. I think just one push will do it."

I looked at her... SAY WHAT?

Before I could even comprehend what was happening, they had changed the table for delivery, hoisted my legs and we we're about to have a freakin' baby! 

With Hadley it was such a slow process.. the nurses we're explaining everything to me very calmly and slowly, we did a push and then waited, another push and then waited. The doctor didn't even come in to deliver Hadley until after I had been pushing for a solid 50 minutes. 

But with this little girl, it was a WAM BAM, THANK YOU MA'AM kind of thing. 

They told me to push, and then almost immediately told me to stop. Josh looked at me like HOLY SHIT and said her head was already out. And then I did one more small push and in the next second she was on my chest.
I didn't even poop! 
Go self!

It was insanity. I think I was in shock for a few minutes afterwards. I couldn't believe she was finally here and I couldn't believe how fast it went down! The nurse told me to never tell any of my friends that it took one push but you know I can't keep this trap shut.. IT WAS DOWNRIGHT CRAZY TOWN.


 Hadley came in a little while after and was so adorable my heart was ready to explode. She immediately started, "Ooooohing" and "Ahhhhing", pointing and babbling away to everyone around her. I could not be more impressed with how she's handled the whole thing. 
I am one proud mama!!!!

^^This is the face that says, "Holy shit, I have two kids.........."
^^^Traditions can't be broken.

And for fun, I did a little side-by-side of Hadley and Nora after they we're first born. I see so many similarities between them, I can't wait to see what Nora looks like in just a few short months. 

We love you so much Nora girl. 
You came into this world fast & furious and we wouldn't have you any other way. We're so happy to be your parents!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your comments here...

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger

Hover Pin It Code